DISCLAIMER: As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases without any additional costs to you.
The world has never been more desperate than it is now. The ongoing pandemic and stagnating economy have made life much harder. The inequality is still rising. If the situation worsens, you might need an extra eye to take care of your resources and loved ones.
A small spy camera can be your one extra eye. If you own businesses, live in a crime-prone area or want to expose some wrongdoings, or want to feel extra secure, then carrying a miniature spy camera will definitely help.
Spy cameras have more usage than we mentioned. Your adventures are only bound by your creative mind.
Here in this article, we will be guiding you to pick the best mini spy cameras for your next mission.
Here is The List of Our Top 7 Best Small Spy Camera at a Glance:
|Best Nonstop: Tekpluze Wall-charger Spy Cam|
This is the best choice for recording nonstop 24×7. It is mounted on a socket and draws power from there. It also works as a phone charger.
|Best Night Vision: Supoggy Mini Spy Camera|
This will give you the best night vision experience with its 6 IR LED and motion detection.
|Best Nanny Cam: WAYMOON 4K Hidden Spy Camera|
It is an unnoticeable camera that is disguised as a clock. You can keep an eye on nanny through its 4k feed.
|Best Home: Mini Hidden Camera with Remote Viewing|
This is the best one for home if being discrete is not necessary. You can get a view from your home on your smartphone.
|Best Waterproof: MHDYT Waterproof Small Spy Cam|
It has the best rating among all the waterproof cameras. You can even take it to jog or surfing using its body mounting accessories.
|Best Wearable: Kirababy Mini Hidden Spy Pen Camera|
You can carry this pen unnoticed in your pocket. This is one won’t be detected even after a security check due to the small size
|Best Portable: OKK Key-chain Portable Mini Spy Camera|
This camera hides in plain sight as a car key. You can record day and night without raising any suspicion.
Why Mini Spy Cameras Are Necessary
In today’s world, spy cameras are not a luxury; they are a necessity. Some reasons you might consider getting one are,
- Securing Business: If you have peoples working for you, it is necessary to keep an eye on everything. It is more important when if you own a store. Shoplifting has been a real problem lately. A micro spy camera will help you to keep eyes both on your employees and customers.
- Exposing Crimes: “Only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to nothing.” rings true to every aspect in our society. If your area is crime-prone, then carrying a mini cube camera might help someone getting justice.
- Home Security: Having a vacation or not, having an extra eye on your home is important. These cameras can help you look after the ones you love. Besides, you can get a live feed of trespassers on your property.
You can think of many reasons for having one, considering in the society we live in.
What Are The Types of Small Spy Camera?
There are many types of mini spy cameras out there. Though there are no rules in place, we divide them into two main categories.
- Fixed Positioned: these cameras are generally not moved when recording. They are placed at an optimum position. These devices are built to be kept hidden. Their small sizes make it hard for anyone to notice. Some are very small in size and have excellent concealing tactics.
- Portable: These types of cameras are mainly built for carrying around. They blend in remarkably with everyday attires. They can look like anything from a button to a pen. Generally, they are made as something that people do not expect to be a camera.
Best Mini Spy Cameras Review: Our Honest Recommendations
Best Nonstop Recording: Tekpluze Mini Spy Wall Charger Camera
The wall charger cam got a place on our list because of its discreet look and functionality. Put the camera in a socket, nobody will look twice. This device uses an AC power source. This also has a USB port and supports plug and play.
The product best serves as a nonstop recorder. Loop recording deletes old clips to space when memory space is full. Working as a phone charger is a great cover from the prying eyes.
AC power allows this product to record nonstop 24/7. The video transfer is very easy, just plug into the PC. Motion detection and loop recording are also available. It attracts no attention as it looks like a phone charger.
Best to put the item on a socket, and the cam starts working.
- Motion detection is very sensitive
- Very discreet
- Looks like a phone charger
- The video takes a lot of space
- No night vision
Best Night Vision: Supoggy Mini Spy Camera
This mini cube camera caught our eyes with its great night vision. Its low light performance exceeded the expectation. It is an ultra-compact device with 6 high-quality IR lights.
This cam is ultra-compact, highly concealable. Works great in low light. As soon as motion is detected, recording starts. This cam supports both 1080p and 720p format. The battery lasts about an hour when motion detection is on.
Besides, hiding it is easy, as the design is very compact. 6 high-quality IR LED lights give great night vision experience with 3-5 meter visibility. Using accessories, this can be used as a substitute body cam, pet cam, etc.
- Smooth and clear video
- Super easy to setup
- supports Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Some models record in 5 min segments
- No WiFi support
Best Nanny cam: WAYMOON 4K Hidden Spy Camera
We put it in our list because it has some over the edge features. This will help you to keep an eye on the nanny and then some more. The camera has WiFi and app support and capability of 4k streaming with a viewing angle is 160 degrees.
4K stream will give a great view. Syncing with the app through WiFi is very easy. This also has a loop recording, night vision, and a motion detector. If the AC power source does not work, the battery can give backup for more than 3 hours.
You can monitor the nanny in 4k through the app. A large viewing angle gives a great observable area. Also, Motion detection can send notifications. Supporting both AC and battery power means this can record nonstop 24/7.
The clock camera is the most feature-packed nanny cam on the market.
- Great quality
- Wide-angle lens
- Easy to setup
- Only allows 24H format
- Does not support 5Ghz WiFi
Best for Home: Mini Hidden Camera with Remote Viewing
This camera made our list because it is very feature-rich. Also very suitable to use at home. The camera has an android/iOS app, which is a handy option we think.
The app and WiFi allow remote monitoring. The lens has a viewing angle of 150 degrees. The motion detection works up to 5m, and IR LEDs are app-controlled. A built-in battery can provide backup for up to 120 minutes. It also supports power banks.
You can get live audio and video feed through app and WiFi. At a time, more than one user can check the feed. The encryption makes your feed safer. This device also has multi-user support along with multiple resolutions to record in.
There is no better alternative for home surveillance than this.
- App and WiFi support
- Comes with a sticky magnet base for easier placing
- For 24h monitoring, it needs to be charged all the time
- The connecting app is difficult sometimes
- Difficult to set device IDS
Best Waterproof: MHDYT Waterproof Small Spy Cam
We chose this because it is one of the smallest spy cameras that is waterproof. It is usable underwater. Besides, this one is very rugged and durable. The night vision and motion detector are great. Easily hide-able. The device as a lot of accessories.
This camera has the size of a thumb and easily goes unnoticed due to mini size. The battery supports recording for 120 minutes. The cam also supports video 1080p video at 30 fps. Memory slot supports SD cards ranged from 4GB to 32GB. Loop recording and motion detection save a lot of memory space.
This item can tolerate rough usage because it is very durable. The accessories make mounting very easy. The IR LEDs allow to film even under darker water; motion detection also works very well.
It is built for rough usage, one of the smallest spy camera.
- Perfect size for hiding
- Lots of choice for settings
- Compact and sufficient package
- No WIFI connection
- Difficult to drive with
Best Wearable: Kirababy Mini Hidden Spy Pen Camera
You can wear it, just like another pen. We chose it because it is wearable for all kinds of environments like meeting, class, office, etc.
This device looks and works just like a normal pen. This small pen can take pictures and record both audio and video. Engineering feats provide USB 2.0 and loop recording while making the lens non-noticeable.
The spy pen writes as good as it records. Takes a few easy steps to setup. USB 2.0 makes transferring data to PC very easy and fast. This device can take continuous clips using loop recording.
The spy pen is virtually unnoticeable. One push at the top button starts recording. The battery does not need replacement. The camera can record videos for 150 minutes at a stretch. When the ink runs out, refilling is very convenient.
This is the best bet for capturing footage in working environments.
- Made of good quality plastic
- Very concealable
- Very light-weight
- Light flashes when taking a picture
- Does not support remote viewing
Best Portable: OKK Key-chain Portable Mini Spy Camera
This device is in our list because it can hide in plain sight. People will not anticipate that a car key is recording the surroundings.
This device can also record at 1080p video. It has a night vision along with a 6-8 meter ranged motion detector. You will be able to record video in the dark quite comfortably. The motion detector works from a long-range.
The key-chain is a multi-functional tool with a great disguise. It can record video and take photos. The Night vision performs well in low light, and the battery can sustain 1.5 hours of recording. Its 140-degree viewing angle covers a lot of areas. Generally enough for any quick in and out adventures.
The key-chain is one of a kind portable spy camera.
- Made from quality material
- Provides card reader with the package
- Easy to use
- Changing the date and time is difficult
- The key is uncut
Mini Spy Camera Accessories You May Need
Memory Card: SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC
Power Bank: Portable Charger Anker PowerCore 20100mAh
Sticky Tape: EZlifego Double Sided Tape
Card Reader: Anker 2-in-1 USB 3.0 SD Card Reader
IR Light: Polaroid Studio Series IR Light Ba
Features to Look for While Buying the Best Mini Spy Camera
It sometimes gets too hard to choose a best quality mini spy camera because they are so overblown with features these days. So, we have researched and found these things to consider when looking for the smallest spy camera:
1. Consider practical usage:
- Placement: Will you put it on a fixed place or mount it on the body? Some are specifically built to be carried; some are made to place in hidden corners. Depending on the answer, you might need to look for products of different types.
- When will you need it: Should it be recording at day? Or night? Or 24/7? A camera with better IR LEDs will perform sufficiently better in low light. If you want to record 24/7, then a battery-powered one won’t do, you will need something that supports AC power source.
- How concealable it needs to be: Remember, you are looking for a spy camera after all. Slightest detection might compromise your mission. There are many concealable cameras out there, from integrated with a key-chain to within a pen. Pick your best bet.
- Requirements: Imagine you would like to monitor your backyard. You will need one that is waterproof because rainwater will damage the device. If you want to live stream, you have to look for one that supports WIFI connecting/remote view.
2. General specs to look for:
- Video Quality: Quality depends on the resolution. The better resolution gives better footage.
- Night vision: Not all night vision cams have the same range. They differ based on the number and quality of IR LEDs they have. If you are looking for micro cameras for spying that works in the dark, make sure they have proper IR LEDs.
- Field of view: Observable area is proportional to the angle on the camera. The bigger angle provides a bigger viewing area. Usually, fixed positioned devices have a bigger perspective than the body-mounted ones.
- Loop recording: It is a feature that allows continuous recording by automatically deleting old footage from memory.
- Motion Detection: The camera only records when there is movement. This will save you from going through hours of clips that have no incident whatsoever. This feature also saves memory space as it only records when there is movement.
- Power source and battery backup: This is another aspect to look at while buying. Without power, the device won’t work. You might need it to function 24/7 or, at certain moments, choose accordingly.
- Special feature: Feature like being a pen or clock would help to avoid detection. They might also serve a special purpose like writing, time telling, etc.
- Wireless Connectivity: Wireless connectivity allows you to connect the recorder to other devices like phone through the WIFI or internet.
Best Place to Mount Camera
Having the best view is the most important thing when mounting a camera. It is wise to place it somewhere high and dark. Like on a bookshelf, nightstand, etc.
You need to make sure that the camera is not noticeable. Cameras disguised as something else are pretty easy to mount anywhere like putting a clock cam on the desk, or a charger cam on a socket.
How to Wear Bodycam?
Keep in mind that field of view when wearing a body camera. Putting a spy pen on pocket might be too high or too low, depending on the wearer’s height. The same goes for button cameras but are more adjustable.
Is it Lawful to Use a Spy Camera?
When it legal and illegal to use spy camera:
Using a spy camera in your home without consent is legal in the US. Recording in public places with “Reasonable expectation of privacy” is permitted. It is illegal to record in a hotel room, locker room, restroom, etc. Recording without permission in private property is unlawful.
Law on recording audio is more strict and clear than recording video only. Its legality is subject to one party/two-party consent and the state law.
Where it is legal and illegal:
Using the hidden camera without consent is illegal in Pennsylvania, California, Connecticut, Maryland, New Hampshire, Washington, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, Montana, Michigan, and Nevada.
District of Columbia and other states allow using spy cam legal under one-party consent.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How long does the battery last?
Generally, the battery in these devices last from 1 hour to 3 hours on average.
Can it zoom?
Generally, the battery in these devices last from 1 hour to 3 hours on average.
How is the low light performance?
Low light performance depends on IR lights and camera quality. Better IR lights provide better low light performance.
How small are spy cameras?
They can be as little as a one-dollar coin.
Do spy cameras need WiFi?
Not all spy cameras need WiFi. However, some provide extended functionality with WiFi.
These devices we described above are great to keep tabs on home, office and loved ones. Their uses will keep your surroundings safe, might even help somebody get justice. We already researched and picked ones that are the best mini spy camera you can find currently in the market.
We hope you will make the best purchase from this list and all the best for your next adventure.